Thursday, August 15, 2013

in London: Hackney City Farm

hackney city farm shophen

For our last day in London, we decided to go to the Hackney City Farm. It is the perfect location if you need a break from the constant urban noise. Once inside, it is easy to forget that you're standing in the heart of one of the busiest cities in the world. 
Hackney City Farm has been on my 'to-see list' for the longest time, and since I was staying in the area, it was the perfect opportunity. I just can't resist the idea of hanging out with animals.
They have a good selection of them, in the little field at the back of the farm you'll get to see pigs, donkeys, goats and sheep. In the courtyard, there is the poultry scurrying around, hens and roosters, geese but also a funny-looking, straight-walking breed of ducks called 'Indian Runners' (see picture below).
Inside one of the building, cages hold cute guinea pigs and extremely shy rabbits. And as for the garden, it is the domain of a very angry cat (you'll be warned by a sign at the entrance of the garden).
Other features of the place are a shop where the farm produce is sold, and a cute cafe which I didn't get to try but I'll make it my mission next time I'm in London.
  hackney city farm 1goat's ears donkey housecockerelgoatgarden gateangry catsignindian runner duck + chicken dust spapigroosterdonkeyhackney city farm 3

12 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like such a quaint little place. It must have been refreshing to see it in such an urban area. Thanks for sharing the pics and taking us with you :)

Mili from call me, Maeby

Anonymous said...

This is way too precious! How wonderful is this :) I think it's nice to get best parts of a getaway, the city and a little more of the relaxing nature like side.

Extra Solar said...

This place looks like magic! I have such a huge soft spot for goats (and their velvet-y little ears!!!), they're so gentle and sweet. I got to hold a baby one in India & that has basically been the highlight of my life.

Louise said...

Oh this is way too good. I adore the fact that such a place exists in London. The indian runner duck looks so neat!! As do all the animals, your picture quality is really nice!

Rita Scamander said...

beautiful :)

Jane said...

Oh I love this, I can't believe it's right in the middle of London! I haven't been to a farm like this since I was a child, to be hoenst I was a bit afraid of animals back then haha.

Anna said...

What a wonderful little blog you have! I'm so glad I came across it through Barbaras blog!

moira said...

@Mili: aw you're welcome and thank you! x

@Stephanie Lula: yes, it's all about balance, isn't it? x

@Kelli: i kind of died of jealousy reading your comment, it must have been pretty special, holding a baby goat!: x

@Louise: I regret not filming the indian runners, they were so funny to look at- Thank you x

@Rita: thanks <3

@Jane: haha I hope you lost your fear now and get to pet a goat asap ;) x

@Anna: thank you, and i'm glad you landed here, welcome! x

lauren, curious constellation said...

I'm gonna have to give this place a visit when I eventually make my way to London.

moira said...

@lauren: hope you'll have fun! x

little henry lee said...

what a wonderful place! when i stayed in london a few years ago we were in the hackney area but i had no idea there was a farm like this around, it's such a lovely thing to see and would be so nice to go and visit, especially since it's so close to the city.

little henry lee

moira said...

@little henry lee: it is indeed the perfect city getaway... in the city :) were you on holidays in london? x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...